CSA - Weeks #7 and #8

It's hard to believe that we're only half-way through the CSA season. Not only that, but it's already time to consider whether we want to sign up for the winter CSA share. Transportation is a little trickier for us in the winter-time, so I'm not sure yet if I'm up for picking up a share in the snow.

Meanwhile, summer marches on and I keep looking for ways to use CSA veggies to create low-waste or waste-free meals for the winter months. In week #7, we ended up with a huge amount of carrots, so tonight they will be made into some Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup. We also have huge amounts of arugula again, which will be made into pesto like the last batch. As it turns out, the chives from our garden made some awesome pesto which we ate for dinner last week.

Week #7:
There was a trade bin this week, and I don't care that much for cilantro, so I traded my two bags for two extra bags of arugula. This led to four bags of arugula this week, hence the pesto plan. Otherwise, we had lettuce, broccoli, onions, garlic, peas, carrots, beets, and potatoes. We also had a few flowers, which I took to work to dress up my desk.





Week #8:
We had a great variety this week, although it was hard to photograph it all together. Lettuce, kale, broccoli, bok choy, cauliflower, zucchini, garlic, carrots, peas, green onions, cucumber, and cabbage. Luckily it doesn't look like I'll need to make any more pesto this time, which is good because we already have about 16 cups of it in the freezer!



Are you in a CSA this year? Leave a comment!

Comments

Popular Posts